Registered Investment Advisors Registration
For many, the registration process — whether at the SEC or state level — can be overwhelming because filing requirements vary and are often complex and difficult to navigate. Although you may see them as burdensome, they do exist for very good reasons. The SEC states that its mission is:
“To protect investors, maintain fair, orderly, and efficient markets, and facilitate capital formation.”
A very lofty ambition, but one that should inspire RIAs to do their best since failure to comply with the nuance of statutes and rules can be damaging to your advisory practice and may have lasting negative effects. Moreover, as an RIA you have an obligation to yourself and your clients to comply with these regulations.
You may think you can handle all the tasks necessary to become an RIA. However, consider the following:
- You may be eligible for a Series 65 exemption or waiver. If you do need to take the Series 65, do you know how to register and prepare for it?
- If you are not filing as a sole proprietor, you must form a corporate entity, obtain a tax ID number (TIN) and send application materials to the proper regulatory bodies.
- There are numerous forms to be completed and submitted through the IARD/CRD system. Are you familiar with that process?
- Are you required to register in any jurisdictions other than your home state?
- You must know whether you need to register with the SEC, or a particular state(s).
- Additionally, many documents will need to be submitted directly with SEC/state regulatory bodies.
Successfully navigating the registration process requires time, significant industry knowledge and great attention to detail — all of which we can provide. We offer prospective RIAs assistance with, but not limited to, the following:
In most cases, you must pass the Uniform Investment Advisor Law Examination (Series 65), which covers federal securities laws and related topics.
Access to FINRA’s IARD/CRD:
We use this system to electronically file critical application documents on behalf of your firm. IARD/CRD was created by the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA) and sponsored by the SEC and the North American Securities Administrators Association (NASAA).
Working as your back office, we take into account everything that is tied with registration to keep you in line with the regulators and facilitate a seamless transition into becoming an independent RIA.
The registration process is lengthy, and it must be done properly in order to avoid unnecessary delays or complication. RIA Registrar provides the support services to allow you to compete as a fully compliant, full-service RIA.
Please see the FAQ Section for additional information about RIA Registration.
Speak with an RIA registration expert.
At RIA Registrar, we’ll help you compete with our turnkey solution for RIA registration.Free Consultation